Sunday, 12 July 2015

Book Cover: Fireworks by Angela Carter, Quartet Books (1974)

Browsing in  my local secondhand bookshop this weekend, I discovered this copy of Angela Carter's short story collection, 'Fireworks' from 1974.  Despite the embarrassment at having to take this to the till, I had to have it.  I love the absurdity of it.  This misogynistic sci-fi slave girl cover image would seem to be completely at odds with how we think about Angela Carter today, as a literary rather than a genre writer, and as a feminist.  I can only imagine what the unsuspecting reader thought when
he read the nine 'profane pieces' within after buying the book based on the cover.

Publishers in the 1960s and 70s were more than happy to try and sell any book - from Moorcock to Ballard to Garcia Marquez - not on it's own merits, but simple by shoving a pair of tits on the cover.

Having said that, I do love this cover's design, the colours and the stylised way the jungle surrounding the two figures has been depicted.  I'm not overly keen on the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment