Friday 17 August 2018

Hear that...?

Something's Knocking.

That's the title of my story which has just been published in the Summer 2018 issue of The Oddville Press.  This story, as with many others, grew out of a discussion I had with my friend and occasional collaborator Martin Greaves, wherein he happened to mentioned how the Surrealists used to create things called Papillons.  Papillons were cards, such as the ones below, with strange phrases written on them which would be left around Paris, on cafe tables and noise boards, presumably to inspire or confuse people.


Martin then told me how The Surrealists also opened an office to which people could call a number or write and detail their strangest dreams.  I loved this idea, and it got me thinking.  A song by Soft Cell called Frustration, which I was having a minor obsession with at the time also got mixed in, and I ended up with this story about a middle-aged man who stumbles upon a back-street theater where bizarre plays are staged every evening.  Plays that are linked to the people in the audience.

Frustration by Soft Cell, a song I ripped off stole a few lyrics from was influenced by for this story.



The Oddville Press magazine can be dowloaded for free as a PDF here.





No comments:

Post a Comment