Tuesday 1 January 2019

Adios 2018

2018 was the year I achieved two long-held ambitions.  One was walking northern Spain's Camino de Santiago  (or one of the routes at least) which I did back in September. This was something I'd planned to do years ago, but the arrival of my eldest daughter put the idea to bed for awhile.  I honestly never thought I'd be capable of walking 20 miles in one day, but I did.  All due to poor planning, admittedly, but I did.  We completed the 40 mile stretch of the English Route in three days, passing through cities, forests, fields of sunflowers, industrial estates, farmland, and tiny villages until we finally arrived at Santiago de Compostela, a truly awe-inspiring city. And it didn't rain once.

The other high-point of my year was having a story published in C.M. Muller's Nightscript anthology.  When I got my acceptance through for Nightscript IV back in February I suddenly felt as if I'd arrived as a writer.  Despite all the many acceptances I'd had prior to that, and the many stories I'd had published, this one felt extra-special.  I felt as if I'd shifted into a new gear, and I hope I can continue in that track in 2019.